3D Printing: Improved Inlet Trumpets

Nothing quite gets the internet clickidy-clicks like a 3D printing article! In the following post I use 3D printing to fix something that wasn’t really broken.

The OLD Design

I have never been happy with the original mountings for the inlet trumpets on the Locost. Its quite common to use silicone hose to align everything within a retro-fit throttle body system and sadly mine was no different. This design can lead to miss-alignment between the trumpets and the throttles, potential shrouding of the inlet path and variations in inlet length; cylinder to cylinder.

This is the kind of stuff that keeps me up at night and it needed to be improved.… Read More

Locost: Dry Sump, Part 1/2

I have been considering building a dry sump for a long time, in fact, ever since I started building the the car. However they are a fairly complicated piece of kit, and I have therefore shied away from them until now. Fortunately I changed my mind due to the data I collected at Snetterton and having access to a decent Turret Mill at my new job. Lets get into this.

What is a Dry Sump?

Up until now I have run a Wet Sump on the Locost. In a Wet Sump system oil passes down into the oil pan under gravity and is fed back into the oil pump via a static pickup.… Read More

Locost: The Six Week Dash

It been a while since I last posted on OgilvieRacing. Life has been pretty hectic for the family since the end of February, and sadly there has not been a whole lot of time for toy cars. In fact the rest of this year is likely to be a quiet one, as I will be changing jobs and location.

I would like to do a track day at Castle Combe before the end of the year, and I will be sure to fill you in on that and the reliability upgrades I have planned for the Locost. However, I promised a run down of the build up to Snetterton, and that’s what your going to get.… Read More

Locost: Snetterton Damage Report

We made it to Snetterton; its official. I’m going to leave it until later to give you a run down of what it took to make my little red car trackday-ready. However, its fair to say the six weeks leading up to Snetterton left me feeling both physically and mentally achy.

Having just performed a two day fabrication marathon on Saturday and Sunday (Feburary the 11th/12th; for posterity), the car was sat on the trailer ready to go at 7pm. After a quick batch of takeaway pizza and beer we were ready for bed; we had a 5am start the next day to get to the track.… Read More

Locost: Desperate Trackday Preperation

Life has got the better of me over the last few months and progress on the Locost has been slow. I had hoped to be doing a Trackday this December, but the car simply wasn’t ready, and there weren’t enough hours in the day to make it so. Subsequently, when my mate Dan messaged me about a Trackday he was organizing at Snetterton in February I was all ears. This is just far enough away to give me enough time to get the car prepared, but at a push. Fortunately, I work well under pressure.

So for my benefit, here is my Locost-work-list that needs to be completed before February the 13th:

  • Fibreglass Rear Arches – By now you have read my article about the Locosts rear light pods.
Read More